To develop a high level of professional competence in students so
that they are well able to teach children from 2½ to 6 years. This
competence includes a knowledge of:
- The Montessori ideas and principles
- Developmental psychology
- The Montessori didactic materials
- How to prepare and deliver a balanced curriculum
- Management procedures and practice
On completion of the Early Childhood Programme the student will:
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the Montessori method and
know how to apply it in the classroom through the prepared environment.
- Have an in-depth knowledge of child development and
educational psychology and know how to apply this knowledge to his role as a
- Demonstrate an ability to observe and interpret
children's behaviour and, through a well-designed curriculum, know how to
provide developmental activities that match his assessment of the children.
- Know how to use appropriately all the Montessori
materials designed for this age group in the areas of practical life,
sensorial, mathematics, reading and writing and cultural subjects.
- Have developed a portfolio of ideas for the creative
areas of the curriculum.
- Know how to evaluate children's individual progress,
keep appropriate records and write professional reports.
- Have a knowledge about the child's position in
society and know about the laws that pertain thereto.
- Demonstrate an awareness of community resources.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in partnership with